Friday, June 17, 2005

Hey There!

Welcome to my new blog. I'm hoping that this will be a place where I can have a productive discussion with interesting people on important (and sometimes not-so-important) topics. But based on my track record so far, I'm afraid it will break down into random bickering and people telling each other how stupid they are. I really, really hope I can avoid that.

But I have to confess that I'm kind of stuck. I feel like my first post should sort of explain the theme of the blog, and what I want to do with it, and what sort of issues I'll be discussing. Problem is, this blog doesn't really have a theme--it's really just a place for me to talk about stuff that I find interesting. In the past, when I've come up with an idea that seems cool, or read an interesting article online, I've just grabbed my nearest friend and harangued him about it. Often this resulted in my instant messaging a friend at two in the morning and asking him to read a fifteen-page economics paper so we could talk about it. Some of them were surprisingly tolerant (thanks again, Steph, if you're out there). But most of them weren't up to reading the stuff when they were half-asleep, and sometimes I can't find anyone to talk to.

So The Echo Chamber was born. This way, I can be much more efficient--I can put down my thoughts when they occur to me, then inflict them on all [three] of my friends, instead of just one! More seriously, this will give me a place to work out my thoughts, and with luck I'll receive decent feedback.

Unfortunately, this still doesn't leave me with a way of opening up with a post on the blog's theme, because I still don't have one. As a sort of solution, I'm going to start off soon with a few posts on completely random topics, just so no one thinks that I'm going to stay on any sort of topic here.

Oh--there is one thing I can say to help explain what this blog's going to be like. Look through this post, and count up the number of times I've used the word "I" or "me." Now count the number of times I've used the word "you."

Yep.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, clever =P

Kristen

June 19, 2005 6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home